St Dennis crowned National First Section Champions at Cheltenham
The band were delighted to be crowned First Section Champions at the National Brass Band Championships of Great Britain which were held at The Centaur (Cheltenham Racecourse) over the weekend. The band gave an extremely musical and precise performance of the set test piece “Ballet for Band” by Joseph Horovitz.
Adjudicators John Maines and Alan Morrison remarked that it was a fine performance and masterful reading that captured the spirit of the music and painted so many pictures.
A big thank you must go to our Musical Director, Darren Hawken, for the countless hours spent working up this fine test piece. Darren commented “This victory has capped off a great contesting year, one that will be remembered for a long time.”
This hard work coupled with a weekend workshop with Philip Harper played a big part in the bands success.
It has been an extremely successful year for St Dennis. Out of the 4 contests entered this year, the band have come away with 3 wins and also a top 10 placing at the Spring Festival contest in Blackpool.
Test Piece: Ballet for Band (Joseph Horovitz)
Adjudicators: John Maines & Alan Morrison
1. St Dennis (Darren Hawken)
2. Vernon Building Society Poynton (Neil Samuel)
3. Aveley & Newham (Robert Nunnery)
4. Blidworth Welfare (Martin Heartfield)
5. Ebbw Valley (Gareth Ritter)
6. Jackfield Elcock Reisen (Simon Platford)
7. Bedworth (David Maplestone)
8. Brunel (John Winterflood)
9. Rainford (Gareth Brindle)
10. Lockwood Brass (John Roberts)
11. City of Cardiff (Mellingriffith) (Nigel Seaman)
12. Hatfield (Stan Lippeatt)
13. Bo’ness & Carriden (Charlie Farren)
14. Chapeltown Silver (Andrew Davies)
15. Tullis Russell Mills (Paul Kiernan)
16. Ripon City (Martin Hall)
17. Northfleet Brass (Melvin White)